Shutter Exercise - October 24th 2017

Here are some photographs that were taken using the TV (shutter priority mode) on a Canon Eos Rebel T2i: 

Freeze motion images


Not my best shot, but trying here to capture the dog in freeze motion. The lighting was not adequate, and I was just beginning to figure out how what settings were needed to get a proper freeze shot. Next time, I would take this same shot in the morning, with the light coming from the window (from the right), and I would have the shutter open for less time.


















This shot depicts a hanging moss garden (inside of a teardrop-shaped plastic form) that I have in front of the window. I pushed it so that it would rock back and forth and I was taking the shot at its highest point in the arc it made. I like how, as a photograph, it doesn't really make sense; in addition to this, I like the different qualities that were captured, like the screen and the different objects (of varying translucency) being illuminated by the hard morning light that I get in the front of my building. The test of whether the plastic form is in focus: if you look closely, you can see the water stains from the spritzing that I give to the moss garden every day, through the circular opening.

One more of the swinging moss garden (from farther away); here you see how it is attached to the ceiling.

Blur motion images

In this shot, the cyclist was coming towards me. I really like the blur in the cyclist's motion, contrasted to the other elements in the photograph. In fact, it looks like she is going at a race car speed!!!

Here is my dog in the woods. Dogs are really tricky to photograph, they never stay in the same position long enough for you to take the shot. I like how this shot describes just that, contrasted against the peacefulness of the fall forest. It makes me think of how some photographers used to play with the idea of "ghosts" in an image; had the dog been even more blurred, it would have looked particularly phantomesque.

Experimental night photos

This shot was made while I was walking in front of an apartment building. I swooped the camera in a half-circle movement a few times over, following a line from left to right. The shutter was open for at least 3 seconds (I don't remember the exact time). I like the difference that is created between the very luminous lines (which is the light above the main door being spread across) and the subtle blurring that comes out of these, it gives it a painterly effect. In addition to this, there is a dynamic sense of movement that is created by the lines going across the image, and this would apply to all the night shots that I took.

This is the bus bending around the curve of the street. I placed the camera on top of a mailbox to take this shot. Shutter was open for 3 or 4 seconds.




This photograph really intrigues me. I was not expecting the grid of the window panes to produce this effect. This is another building on the street, with a single light above it. I really like how it is framed by the black, and how the light seems to be coming out from the blue area.


These are different coloured lights emanating from three separate windows. I moved the camera diagonally downwards during a long shutter (4 seconds maybe) to get the shifting motion. I find this image to be quite theatrical; it has the quality of an animated projection, by virtue of its movement within the black background. I am contemplating cropping it differently.


The name of this building is the Royal Ridge, and I was using the camera to literally write out "Royal". What I did not realize is that the "Royal" that I wrote from left to right with the camera ended up upside-down afterwards. I love the layering that is created between the font on the door and the cursive upside-down writing above it. Also, the echoes from the bright "Royal" illuminate and distort certain parts of the image in a really interesting way.




Comments

Popular Posts